Tuesday, March 24, 2009

2nd Week of Classes


















It's hard to believe we are already on our second week of classes!  We seem to be in a routine with our students in the classrooms and everyone is opening up a little bit more with us and each other :)

Phyllis started a Phase 10 game time after her classes this week and today my morning class joined her for some stiff competition.  One of the staff Dom taught the students how to play in thai or we would have been there all day just trying to communicate the instructions!  

We invited our students to our place this coming up weekend for games, food, etc. Some have committed to coming but everyone in my afternoon class had plans.  I was disappointed but they came up with a wonderful alternative after class and called me over to ask if we could all go out to eat this afternoon.  It worked out perfectly and we all headed over to the Mall to eat at a great thai restaurant.  Two of my students have cars so we carpooled as many as we could and another group took a taxi.  Joy, one of the staff joined us so we could introduce her and make a connection for the students with someone other than me, a short timer.  She is lots of fun and they enjoyed having her along.  She also teaches Level 2 English and most likely some of them will have her as a teacher.  This is such a fun group!  They really have connected and that makes is easier to have some great discussions.  One of my students found a new job and it begins tomorrow so this was her last day.  She is one of my better students so it will be sad to see her go plus she is really enjoyable to be around.   The food was amazing!  They ordered all different kinds of entrees and we ate family style.  They were loading up my plate with some interesting things and it was all good.  There were steaming bowls of soup (the kind I tried had huge shrimp in it) that were served on pedestals with some kind of burners inside with flames you could see, it kept the soup really hot for most of the meal.  We ate papaya salad, fried rice with shrimp and crab, mango salad with fish.  Thai fried chicken which is a favorite here and shrimp patties with a delicious sauce.  I couldn't believe that it was all gone at the end of the meal.  Most of my girls are so little I wondered where they put it all :)

It was nice to have some time outside class to talk one on one with the ones seated around me.  I found out that three of my students are working on their masters degrees right now.  One of my students loves to read marketing and finance books for fun.  No one is married but they range in age from 22-42. Almost all of them have been to many different countries. 



5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great bunch of students. You girls are doing an awesome job on keeping us updated with photos & info. I am truly enjoying the journey with both of you. Lynne, hope you got to see the Smilebox Slideshow of our visit to Winnie's? Hope to see you in July :-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy,
    I agree with Becky--you are doing a great job posting info. Have you found or eaten any worms or bugs from the market yet?? Mmm Mmm Good. I was with Pat when he tried connecting to you this morning. Hope you can stay on longer next time. All I can say is "What Fun!" I mean, there really is a world outside 423 Stageline Rd. isn't there?? I just need to follow the yellow brick road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What shiny and excited looking faces. You have a neat group and I bet they are loads of fun. We love you and your in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, I did see the smilebox slideshow- it was great! Wish I could of been there with you all :)
    Thanks for coming along with us! We love hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for some thai cooking when we visit.
    Sure enjoy the site and stories of your journey....your in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete